Since my birthday was Sunday, Monday marked the beginning of my 30-day yoga and vegetarianism challenge. I was almost thwarted on my first day because the yoga class I had planned to go to was not being offered, but I found another one at another studio only 15 minutes earlier and closer to home. So far, so good. I have been to two yoga classes, both beginner’s classes. Today I signed up for another 6 week series – this time it’s Intro to Power Yoga, taught by the same teacher who teaches my current series class. It’s been two days, and I have not missed eating meat at all. I have been eating falafel for lunch and we made Eggplant Parmesan for dinner on Monday, and we’re still eating leftovers!
3 Large Eggs
3 Tbsp Water
3/4 c Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs
1/2 c Parmesan Cheese
1 Large Eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Flour
1 1/4 c Milk
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp Basil
3/4 c Tomato Sauce (can use 15oz of canned)
1 c Shredded Mozzarella
1. Mix together eggs and 3 tablespoons water until blended.
2. Combine breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
3. Dip eggplant into egg mixture, dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
4. Cook eggplant, in 3 or so batches, in tablespoon hot oil per batch in a large skillet over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side, or until tender.
5. Arrange eggplant in a foil lined baking dish in one layer. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.
6. While baking, melt butter in a saucepan. Whisk in 2 tablespoons flour and cook for 3 minutes.
7. Whisk in milk and gently boil. Add salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. White sauce should thicken.
8. Pour white sauce and tomato sauce over eggplant. Sprinkle with desired amount of Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
9. Bake 10-15 more minutes.
10. Serve over whole wheat spaghetti.
Go girl! :)