On Sunday morning our microwave died. It went out in a blaze of glory. It was like a lightning storm was happening inside of the microwave. Lots of pops and bangs and sparks flying. There is a burn hole in that metal square on the inside about the size of a nickel. My plan was to immediately buy a new one, but in the back of my head I thought of a past co-worker and friend who doesn’t own a microwave. Could I do that? Could I LIVE without a microwave? So we’re going to give it a try. I think Ryan is game because he doesn’t want to buy me a new microwave after just having invested in such an expensive vacuum – not that microwaves are expensive. (Can’t the Dyson heat my food up too?!) So Sunday I had to melt the butter in a saucepan for my blueberry muffins from scratch. Then, Monday morning I had to eat cereal instead of microwave grits, which can of course be made on the stove, but I was being lazy. And last night we had to heat up our taco shells in the toaster oven. But so far, so good. We are officially a microwave-free family. We’ll see how long this lasts.

This entry was posted in Eating Out. Bookmark the permalink.


  1. Cory says:

    Holy crap. I would starve to death. I’m not even sure my stove works.

  2. smiley9188 says:

    Holistic Nutritionists insist on eliminating the microwave altogether. It disrupts the molecule makeup in food and it is unknown to scientists if it can cause humans harm. With that said, good for you for trying. I give you one week.

  3. Stefania says:

    Good Luck! I barely use mine (never to cook), mostly just reheat and defrost. Let me know how it goes…. See you sooon!

  4. Katie says:

    I am in awe of you. I think my husband and I would shrivel up and die without our microwave. You’re a brave, brave soul.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s